Sunday 18 October 2015

Interview with Jessica Smith

Interview with Jessica Smith 

I think it goes without saying that Ireland has produced some incredible artists in recent years, but when it comes to dance tunes or club classics, well, we may be a little bit behind other countries. But fear not, Dublin singer/songwriter Jessica Smith has just released a single worthy of getting a few spins in any nightclub.

I recently caught up with her to talk all things Jessica Smith-y including how the song came about, how she found it making a music video for the first time and what her plans are for the future.

"I have been singing since i was a child. Music has always been in my family with my Dad Damian Smith being a trained baritone. In fact the first time i remember singing was when my dad was rehearsing in our house for a show he was doing at the time in National Concert Hall in Dublin. My dad called me into the room and asked me to sing the female part in "BlackHills" from Calamity Jane. I recall singing in front of his Aunt and Uncle in their home in Baldoyle. I suppose i just loved it from that moment.
I love Coldplay and Adele and pretty much majority of dance music. I want to write music that is up beat with a story.
I want my music to move people both physically and emotionally."

Well, 50/50 certainly will move people physically but one song I stumbled across that moved me emotionally song 'Marry Me', composed around the time of the Same Sex Marriage Referendum in Ireland. Here's what she had to say about it; Oh and check it out too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iymv2-jfxCM

"I wrote 'Marry Me' with my producer Cormac Butler. I decided to write 'Marry Me' for the Marriage Referendum , i suppose, to be a voice for my family members and friends who are gay. I have never understood why it would be up to someone else to say how people should live their lives. I have seen Love in all shapes and sizes and forms and its all equal in my eyes. I wanted to put my opinion across in the only way i know how which is in my music in the hopes that it would make a difference. Love is Love simple as."
As I mentioned in my intro, it may be argued that Ireland is a little bit off the pace when it comes to dance music but the Dubliner believes that she could actually use that to her advantage and that there may be a niche for that genre of music within the country.

"50/50 is definitely different to 'Marry Me'. It's more pop dance than anything else. I do think there is a niche for that style of music in Ireland in particular because there aren't many people doing this genre here."
And that certainly seems to be the case so far because the song and Smith's vocals have been getting a huge amount of praise from various different music critics and has even been getting some airplay on national radio.

"The response thus far has been extremely positive. '50/50' has been played on a good few Radio stations throughout Ireland since its release including being the 'Home Grown Hero' for Dermot&Daves show on TodayFM the week of its release. I am VERY excited to see how '50/50' does over the coming weeks."
Often, musicians find the transition from recording vocals behind a microphone to making a music video in front of the camera to be quite difficult and although for Jessica it was a brand new experience, she claims to have loved every minute of it. See for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSeShNzWi7s

""The music video was a totally new experience and was in fact my first ever music video for my original material. It was filmed by 'Crooked Gentlemen Films' who are AMAZINGLY talented and really helped to bring my music to life. The Dancers in the video were incredible, it was beautiful to watch them act out the story in the song and i wont lie i may have shed a tear watching them perform. The whole experience of making the music video was surreal and a memory i will cherish."

Hopefully from her point of view this will be just the first of many music videos she will be involved in. Jessica says she wants this to be a huge stepping stone in her career and she is working hard to ensure it lasts.

"I want '50/50' to be the start of my career. I fully intend to record more music and have been writing for the past 3 years with Cormac so there are many many more songs to come. In fact, I am currently working on my EP which i aim to release early in the new year."
Check Jessica out on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Jessicamusicofficial?ref=bookmarks
On her Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChvi7q__Nw3NqlowZ7ZtO3g
And website - www.jessicasmithmusic.com

You can also download 50/50 on Spotifuy, Google Play and iTunes.

EOIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment