Friday 25 December 2015

Interview with Sive

Interview with Sive

The word "captivating" is thrown around quite a lot in the music industry these days, often carelessly. But trust me when I say that Kildare native, Sive, is exactly that. 

I first came across her music when she performed in Alice's Restaurant in Naas as a guest at Keith Plunkett's EP Launch and then again in Judge Roy Beans at an event that I hosted and on both occasions she blew me away, so much so that I had to get an interview with her!

"When I was really young I used to love pop music and when I think back to it, I always noticed the harmonies in songs and sing along with the backing vocals which I guess was a strange thing for a kid to do! I played the keyboard and then when I was 14 I began learning how to play the guitar and I suppose that's probably when I started to get madly into music!"


Her love for music continued to grow and she joined a band as a backing vocalist and admitted that she was terrified when asked to sing and often pretended her microphone didn't work to get out of it! But isn't it strange how she is now a solo artist?

"When I was in college in Ballyfermot I was writing my own songs so I kind of started singing out of necessity more than anything and I remember my friend Janet encouraged me to go for it and I thought to myself 'Okay, I'll give it a shot, and I did"
Sive is currently self employed, meaning she is not signed to anybody and she believes that there are both pros and cons to that.

"It can be hard to promote yourself especially when you're not in a band, like how do you make yourself sound cool and appealing? It's also hard to keep the momentum up. I mean, it's one thing to keep writing and recording music but then there's also the other side to it like the promotions and the releasing and stuff, it can be pretty tiring. That said I do really enjoy the freedom and I love the recording and performing and having people listen to my stuff!"
Well people will have an opportunity to listen to her new music in the New Year because she hopes to release a new album in 2016, if all goes according to plan.

"I have some of the songs fully recorded and others half recorded. All of them are written, just some need a little more time but hopefully I'm going to be finished by next February and then release it some time during the year. The hardest thing at the moment is actually choosing which songs to put on the album. I've written quite a few and had narrowed it down to 12 and then it crept back up to 13 but I would like to keep it at 12 because I find if there are too many songs, people won't listen to the last few!"


As I mentioned in my intro, the second time I seen Sive perform was at a gig I hosted - A Song For Jack and Jill Charity Album Launch in Judge Roy Beans. This was an album jam packed of Irish artists in order to raise funds for the Jack and Jill Charity. Sive explains how she got involved in the album:

"Mike Gleeson asked me about a year ago if I was interested and at this stage it was really only an idea, we were trying to find other artists to come on board too so obviously that took a bit of time but I was delighted to be a part of it and raise money for a very worthy cause!"
2015 was a pretty busy year for the Kildare artist and 2016 promises to be just as, if not busier. She has so much planned for the year ahead, with the album of course taking the number one priority.

"After Christmas the focus will definitely be on the album and getting that released as soon as possible. At the moment I don't have any gigs planned for the start of the year but I'm sure that will changed after the release of the album!"

So.. Exciting times ahead for Sive! You can follow her journey in the following ways:

Website: www.sivemusic.com
Twitter: @sivemusic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/siveband/?fref=ts
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sivemusic

And of course, keep an eye out for the album next Spring!

EOIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment