Saturday 5 November 2016

Gig Review: Aslan @ The Osprey, Naas

Aslan Kill It In County Kildare!


On a night when the Irish rugby team were creating history by defeating the All Blacks for the first time ever, Christy Dignam and the lads from Aslan were playing to an adoring crowd live at the Osprey in Naas.

I can say with my hand on my heart that Aslan are one of my all time favourite Irish bands and seeing them in my home county was an absolute pleasure.

Christy began the set by first of all apologising (light-heartedly) to the crowd! The reason behind that being that it has been years since the band have played in Kildare, but hey, absence makes the heart grow fonder eh?

The venue was absolutely packed to the rafters and from the minute Aslan walked on stage, all who were in attendance danced and sang every word!

Naturally, songs like 'Crazy World', 'Chains' and 'This Is' were real favourites but for the night that was in it, following Ireland's aforementioned victory, the band's rendition of 'Willie MacBride' went down a real treat and was met by rapturous applause and chants of "olé olé olé".

It's a known fact now that lead singer Christy Dignam has had a long battle with cancer and you can read more about that by checking out the interview I did with guitarist Billy McGuinness on the blog a while back BUT I have to say, it brought a smile to my face and gave me shivers down my spine to see Christy up on stage where he belongs, doing his thing!

I would highly recommend getting out to see the lads over the month of December. Their upcoming gigs are:

03 Dec - HMVSOUNDGARDEN, Sligo
10 Dec - Seapoint Ballroom, Galway
16 Dec - Project Club, Waterford
27 Dec - Vicar Street, Dublin
29 Dec - Vicar Street Dublin



No comments:

Post a Comment